You are here: Home -> The Substances
Each substance listed below is a link to a page containing selected links to provide you with comprehensive information about the specific substance. Just click on each substance name to see the list of links. You may then click on any interesting links to be taken to another website to read their offerings.
Each class of drugs has some nicknames after it to help you relate to what you have heard. The list is NOT complete. The street names of drugs vary by geographic region and by time, as each generation comes up with new names for the same drug. Also, the number of substances that people use and abuse is large and this website cannot cover them all; the major classes of drugs are here, however.
- Alcohol: Beer, wine, liquor.
- Amphetamines: “speed”, crystal meth, “crank”, “rush”, Dexedrine, Ritalin, diet pills.
- Caffeine: The World’s Most Popular Drug — coffee, tea, chocolate (!), soda.
- Cannabis: marijuana, hashish, THC, “pot”, “grass”, “weed”, “reefer”.
- Cocaine: snorting, IV, freebase, crack, “speedball”.
- Hallucinogens: LSD (“acid”), mescaline, peyote, psilocybin, STP, “mushrooms”, “shrooms”, “ecstasy”, MDA, MDMA.
- Inhalants: “glue”, paint, ethyl chloride, “rush”, nitrous oxide (“laughing gas”), amyl or butyl nitrate (“poppers”).
- Nicotine: cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, chew, pouches.
- Opioids: heroin, morphine, Dilaudid, opium, Demerol, methadone, Darvon, codeine, Percodan, Vicodin, Oxycontin.
- Sedatives, Hypnotics and Anxiolytics: Quaalude, Seconal (“reds”), Valium, Xanax (“Xanies”, Librium, Ativan, Dalmane, Halcion, Restoril, barbiturates.
- Steroids: “Roids, Juice, Sauce, Slop, Product, Stacking, Hammer, Junk, Arnolds, Gym Candy, Pumpers”.
tl;dr: Pick your poison and read. <smile>