“Check to see if there is a problem. It is easy.”
PLEASE NOTE these diagnostic instruments are linked here for informational purposes ONLY. A complete and accurate diagnosis requires an experienced and licensed (mental) health practitioner PERIOD. On the other hand, check it out. If you or someone you care about seems to have a problem, deal with it <!> (up to and including getting yourself/them to a qualified treatment professional).
Alcohol and Drug Use Screening Questionnaires
- Alcohol Screening DOT org
AlcoholScreening.org provides a quick, scientifically valid questionnaire that assesses your drinking habits by age and gender. It is called AUDIT (Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test) and was developed by the World Health Organization to identify persons whose alcohol consumption has become hazardous or harmful to their health. It takes about two minutes, is completely anonymous and you can fill it out for yourself or someone you know. Feedback is then given based on your answers and links for additional information and getting help are provided.
- MAST — Michigan Alcohol Screening Test
An online version of the Michigan Alcohol Screening Test is offered by the The Counseling Resource Mental Health Library offers.
- Drinker’s Check-Up
Motivational Enhancement Therapy is an effective, scientifically valid treatment for drug and alcohol abuse. Reid Hester, PhD has been one of the people closely involved with this research. He and his colleagues offer the The Drinker’s Check-Up which is a comprehensive online assessment of someone’s drinking habits. There is a fee. (NB: SoberDreams.com has no financial connection to Drinker’s Check-Up.)
- CAGE Assessment (Alcohol Abuse)
The Counselling Resource Mental Health Library offers an online version of the CAGE Assessment. It has four questions.
- Drug Abuse Screening Test
The Counseling Resource Mental Health Library offers an online version of the Drug Abuse Screening Test (DAST). It takes perhaps two minutes to complete.
Mental Health Screening Tools
Anxiety, depression, stress and other problems can accompany substance misuse. It might be worth your while to go online and check up on your mental health. A high percentage of people with substance use disorders have something else going on as well.
- Mental Health America: The non-profit Mental Health America provides a large number of screening instruments anyone can use to help in the diagnosis of depression, anxiety and other mental health issues. Well worth a periodic visit to check up on yourself or a significant other.
- Mentalhealth.com Mentalhealth.com offers a wealth of mental health information as well as a screening service for a very wide array of mental health issues. Worth a look.
tl;dr: Check yourself or someone else. It is quick and easy. Just remember a formal diagnosis requires an appointment with a mental health professional.